Author Archives: Judith_Drever

PE lessons are not what they were!

June 23rd, 2014 | Posted by Judith_Drever in 1950s | All work and no play.... - (1 Comments)

 

MApyramid3

During the 1950’s it seems as though displays of this kind were a regular feature of Parent’s Days and other events at Moor Allerton School judging by the school’s old photograph albums. It can’t have been much fun being at the bottom of the pyramid, though it looks as though they put the biggest boys there, and put the smallest and lightest at the top!

MApyramid2

Health and Safety legislation would probably rule out anything like this today – notice the complete lack of safety mats to provide a soft landing!

MADisplay

MApyramid

MApyramid4

 

The Lost Gardens of Moor Allerton

June 2nd, 2014 | Posted by Judith_Drever in Change and development | Photo album - (1 Comments)

Over the last 100 years there have been lots of changes to Moor Allerton School and its surroundings – not least to the land immediately around the school building itself. Early photos offer tantalising glimpses of greenery, indicating that there were once gardens at both the front and the rear of the building. The following photograph in particular shows how extensive those gardens once were….

MAGarden

 We’d love to hear from anyone who knows exactly where this was, and when it disappeared…

 

War Time Disruption

March 22nd, 2014 | Posted by Judith_Drever in 1930s | 1940s | Photo archive - (0 Comments)

In its century of existence, Moor Allerton has seen two World Wars. Opening in 1914 just after the outbreak of WW1, the first conflict seems to have had little direct effect on the school. With just seven pupils at opening, the school itself was able to operate as usual, whatever the effect upon the home and family life of individual pupils might have been.

 However this was not the case by the time WW2 came along.  When war broke out in 1939, Manchester Council requisitioned the school building, and moved all the income tax offices from the City Centre.

Moor Allerton School itself moved out to Pownall School, Wilmslow, with about 20 of the school’s senior boys, and from there moved again to a large house in Hayes Lane, Alderley Edge, with the boys as boarders. Finally, when most of these boys left to go on to their senior schools, the school was closed down for a while. The existing headteacher moved onto a preparatory school in Derbyshire, before returning once again when Moor Allerton re-opened in 1945.

The boards of School Captains for each year still displayed in the school, record these years simply with the words ‘The War’. A simple yet evocative statement of the disruption the school faced.

Captains Board

During the conflict, a number of past Moor Allerton pupils saw active service, including Captain Alec George Foucard of the Coldstream Guards, who was awarded the MC, and a further 8 who were killed in action. A service of remembrance for those killed was held at Christ Church, West Didsbury in July 1946.

1946_Th+Rem_Service_Ticket

 

At the end of hostilities a VE Day Message signed by King George VI was sent to all schoolchildren. It included key dates for the war on the back, and a space to fill in the details of ‘My Families War Record’. One of these is still preserved in the school archives.

1946_Victory_Banner_1

Also preserved is a letter of thanks or appreciation from the Incorporated Association of Preparatory Schools to the women who had kept everything running at home while so many teachers were on active service – perhaps somewhat ironic in the case of a school like Moor Allerton which had to close.

1946_IAPS_War_Letter